Monday, December 19, 2011

Background - In a Nutshell

2004:
I happily marry my wonderful husband two weeks before my 30th birthday. 

 
We try to make a baby - unsuccessfully. 
 
2005:
After 18 months, doctors and drugs - Baby on the way!

2006:
After 9 difficult months, Zoe arrives and I have 60 lb. to lose. 
 
Thanks to Weight Watchers, 50 lb. is lost before ...
 
2007:
Surprise!  Baby #2 is cookin' unexpectedly. 

2008:
9 very easy months later, Sydney is born and I have 60 lb. to lose again (50 lb. plus 10 I never lost).

2009:
I am tired and barely surviving sleep deprivation so exercise isn't even a remote consideration, but I am successful and lose 60 lb. again thanks to Weight Watchers and nursing.

2010:
NY Resolution - Get off the couch.  I decide to try belly dancing.  After 1 class, I'm hooked!  In June, I do my first performance.  In July, I decide to try to lose "those last 5 lb." and attempt to do something I've always hated - running.  I start C25K.  It is a struggle and I cannot be consistent due to a persistent injury (shin splints due to overpronation) but I run when I can.  I become addicted to how amazing I feel when I run.  I join a belly dance performance company.

2011:
It's winter.  It's cold.  I keep running.  I sign up for 5k.  Injuries persist.  I give up on 5k idea until 2 weeks before race.  I decide to go for it!  I run the race from beginning to end.  Injuries continue.  I do miserable 5k in July during which I nearly melt.  Another miserable 5k in September during which I nearly faint from heat stroke.  I join a new belly dance performance company.  Run fabulous 5k in October and another in November.  December - have ridiculous experience at Hot Chocolate 5k that was so packed I could only run 2 of 3 miles.  Decide to train for my first half-marathon.

2012:
I get super sick over New Years for several weeks but recover by Febuary to run my first 10k and follow that up with my first half-marathon.

Skip running for the summer but discover strength training doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution when kids are home for summer break.  Start running again in fall and do Tower of Terror 10 miler and Army 10-miler.  Finally see an orthopedist for shin problems.  Am heartbroken when I have to take a 6 week break and he can't offer me many solutions. Join a gym to cross-train since I can't run and fall in love with BodyPump, spinning and the elliptical.  Hire a trainer - The Punisher.  Come off my running break to do 5k PR!  Train for Tinkerbell Half-Marathon.

2013:
Complete Tinker Bell Half-Marathon cutting 9 minutes from my previous time.
 
Currently training for:
Rock 'n Roll USA - March 16
Cherry Blossom 10 Miler - April 7
Parkway Classic 5k - April 21 (fingers crossed for PR here!)
Nike Women's Half-Marathon - April 28

To be continued ...

No comments:

Post a Comment