Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Disney Princess Half-Marathon 2012


The alarm went off at 1:50 AM.  For the life of me, I could not figure out how to set the time on the hotel alarm.  At 2AM, my back-up alarm on my phone went off.  I got up, dressed in a blue running skirt and blue t-shirt, did my hair adding a “Jasmine” headband and make-up … oh, yes, make-up!  I headed downstairs at 2:30 and it was pretty deserted.  I decided not to head to the bus stop since it was pretty chilly. Around 2:50, I saw 2 other runners leave so I followed.  The first bus pulled up shortly after that.  We were the only 3 on the bus. 

The bus driver looked lost and pulled into a parking lot.  Then, he seemed to meander around the parking area before finally dropping us off.  I was glad to get off the bus.  Other busses pulled up behind me and I found my friends who were at a different resort.  We headed over to the Race Retreat together and found a table.  We ate, used the bathroom and chatted for a while.  We took a few pictures, checked out bags and headed towards the corrals around 5:00 AM. 

The crowds were amazing with thousands of runners descending onto the start area.  We were moving slowly and I eventually realized that the slow-down was caused by all the people standing in line for the port-a-johns blocking the path to the start.  We finally got around them and to the corrals.  One of my friends headed off to her corral (A!) while my other friend and I were way back in the last corral (H).  We fought our way through the crowds to the front of the corral.  I had to fight my way out again to use the restroom one last time.  Had it not been for the national anthem, I wasn’t sure how I would have gotten back to my friend.  Later, I realized people were climbing over the corral fences.  Oh, well!

The race finally started with a blessing from the fairy godmother and fireworks at the start which we couldn’t see and on the bridge where all the action was being televised for us.  Standing and waiting in that hour, I could feel the aching in my knees from the days I’d spent walking the parks.  I was worried.  A few minutes later, more fireworks as the next corral headed out.  This happened for every single corral.

As we edged closer to the start, I took off my throw-away sweatshirt and tossed it to the side.  As we got even closer, there were PILES of clothing all over the sides of the corral all going to charity.   Finally, it was our time to start.  With the last blessing of the fairy godmother and fireworks, I wished my friend well and headed out.

The first couple of miles, I was ok.  Ran a slow pace near 12 min miles which was what I was aiming for.  At mile 3, I started having to really weave a lot around walkers.  My pace got better, but it was tough.  I don’t think I ever got better than 11 min miles.  I couldn’t understand it when a week earlier I was running 9:40 min miles!  To complicate matters, the course narrowed in sections and it was a bottleneck of runners trying to get around and walkers in between.  It really never got better.  My legs just felt heavy and I could never get into my normal pace.  I decided to adjust my expectations and run the best I could.

I sipped sports drink a little here and there and at 45 min. in (maybe around mile 5), I took a gel with some water just as I’d trained with and planned.  Shortly after that, I wasn’t feeling well.  I couldn’t believe it!  I was so annoyed and knew I’d not only have to stop but that it would affect my time.  On the other hand, I already knew I wasn’t going to have the race I’d hoped for.  I didn’t start feeling great, all the weaving through runners, my slow pace, and now this.

I made it to the Magic Kingdom and found a bathroom.  I had read that it was much better and faster if you could use the bathrooms in the parks and it was so true.  I never thought I would actually have to use the advice, but I was In and out and back on the course in no time.  I stuck with water and used honey instead  for the rest of the race and luckily, that was the end of my tummy troubles.

By this point, the weaving had taken its toll.  I’d never felt so awful running.  My legs hurt from my hips down to my toes, but I just kept running and took solace in the fact that my friend would be waiting for me at mile 7.  Again, I didn’t think I’d need the support, but I did and was so grateful to her for it.  She was cheery and happy (that’s just how she is) and we ran on and even chatted (another thing I never do).  We stopped a couple of times so I could take her picture at certain spots and she took mine along the way.


Mostly, I was really in my own little world and it felt like we were only together 15 minutes or so.  We ended up running to mile 11 together and I was shocked to realize later that what felt like 15 minutes was more like 40.  She snapped a picture of me at the mile marker and went back again for our other friend as I ran on alone.

I made it to mile 12 and got a little emotional.  I was going to finish the race.  Then, something frightening happened.  I started having trouble breathing.  I felt like all I could do was take small breaths.  I didn’t know what to do.  I walked for a few seconds but it didn’t help so I just kept running figuring I was almost there.  I didn’t want to give up now which in hindsight was probably ridiculous given what could have happened to me.  Luckily, whatever it was, suddenly just passed as quickly as it came on.

The last mile was torture.  I was back in Epcot and just kept thinking to myself MY GOD WHERE IS THE FINISH?  Then, there it was.  I saw Minnie standing to the right of the finish and I ran by her giving her a high five and crossed the finish line with a  time of 2:32. 

I kept walking to where the medals were being distributed and paused for a minute.  My knees were throbbing like I’d never felt before and yet I wondered if it was bad enough to go to the aid station.  I saw quite a few people with ice strapped to their knees and decided that might be a good idea so I headed over.  I sat down and texted my friends to know where I was and called my husband to let him know that I’d finished and that be back soon.

I sat at the aid station for a short while and started to shiver so I got up and tried to find the Race Retreat.  I went through a picture taking area but I just wanted to be warm so I skipped it.  Then, I went through an area where boxes of food were handed out.  I eventually found the area with the tents for bag check and the Retreat.  However, everything looked the same in the huge area and it took me a while to find it.  I finally found it and it was a lot more crowded than it had been in the morning.  I got a pair of flip flops that were distributed (WAY too big) and a cooling blanket (didn’t need that!).  I just sat on the floor and iced my knee before getting up to change in the changing area.  Then, I ate and just waited.  My friends showed up about an hour later and they took some time to eat.   By this time the last busses were leaving and we took one last picture and rushed to catch our busses. 

When I got back to the hotel my husband was out with my kids and it was nice to be able to relax and shower alone and reflect on the day.  I was in pain and didn’t have the race I’d hoped for.  I wasn’t sure it was worth it.

I’m (finally!) finishing up this recap 2 months after the fact.  It WAS worth it.  The friend that ran with me put it in perspective to me.  She told me that I’d run a distance equivalent to running from my house to Washington D.C.  That helped me stop beating myself up.  I’m not done.  I have more races ahead of me.  I signed up for the Tower of Terror 10 miler with 2 friends and I’m planning for a no pressure run.  I think it would be good for me.  Not that I've given up pushing myself!  I also plan to do the Tinkerbell Half-Marathon and hope that will be my redemption for Princess.  I have a time for a much better corral and hope to avoid the weaving and park trekking that doomed me last time.
Since Princess, I've done 2 5ks including one that was my very first race ever last year.  My time was 30:07 and last year it was 34:52.  Can't complain about that improvement!  Today, I was denied entry to the NYC Marathon, but I'm ok with that.  I take it as a sign from the universe that I'm not ready but I'll try again next year.  Next up is another 5k in May just before my birthday and I can't help but wonder if I'll have a PR.  After that, I'll start no-stress training for the 10 miler.
That's all for now.  I think that's quite a lot! 

No comments:

Post a Comment