Monday, February 4, 2013

2012-2013


Ah, 2012 ... So much happened.  My goal was to run 12 races and I just barely made it.  Why?  Well, injury and illnesses.  But let me back up. 

I didn't run a lot last summer.  I don't enjoy running in the heat and my kids are out of school, so it's not the best time for me.  Still, I did what I could to semi-train for the Tower of Terror 10-miler in September.  I wanted it to just be a fun run and a nice weekend for my husband and myself.  We really did enjoy our time away together.

The race itself?  Meh.  I had a good time with my friends, but the course was really boring highway miles and not so much fun.  Also not much fun was the fact that I spent way too much time on my feet trying to get in as much as possible in two days.  Every step I took after the race was pure pain, but I came away with this nonetheless ...

The next weekend, I did the Run for Parks 10k.  I finished in 1:03:17 which beat my previous time.  Happy camper!
Next was the Army 10-miler.  I was having leg issues at this point and didn't want to push it.  No big race time for me, but I finished it and that was my only goal.

After the Army 10, I was signed up to do the MCM 10k, but I got really sick that weekend and unfortunately, had to skip it.  Maybe next year.  This is an issue with having small children.  They're major germ carriers and bring home every virus imaginable from school!

Shortly after this, I had to confront something I'd been avoiding since I started running a couple of years ago.  Shin problems.  I have a pretty serious pronation problem despite support shoes and inserts.  I finally went to an orthopedist and he pretty much told me that there wasn't anything I could do that I hadn't already done (stretching, ice, etc.).  He said I needed 6 weeks off.  He also suggested custom inserts but he didn't seem to have much hope.  I went home heartbroken.

I listened to what he said though and took the 6 weeks off.  During this time, I decided to join a gym so at least I could cross-train.  I didn't have the best attitude about it.  Well, guess what?  I loved it!!  I started taking Body Pump, Cycling and using the Elliptical.  I also went to get fitted for those custom inserts. 

After 6 weeks, I threw in the new inserts and did a 5k PR.  My goal for the year was to do a 5k in under 30 min.  I knew this course was flat and I had a chance.  I came in at 29:41 at the Run for Shelter 5k.  I almost puked and fainted at the finish, but I was ecstatic!  I'm sure I shouldn't have run that hard so soon after the break, but my spirit needed the boost and I don't have a single regret about it.


I did another 5k in December and that wrapped up the year for me.  12 races in total.

This brings me to 2013.  My plan for this year was to do Disney Coast to Coast.  One half-marathon in Disney World and one in Disney Land.  My Disneyland race was the Tinker Bell Half in January.  I had never been to Disneyland (or California) so there was that incentive as well. 

I also signed up for the Neverland 5k.  A crazy mistake knowing that I would be on my feet too much (again) but whatever.  I actually had THE BEST time during this 5k.  It was untimed.  No chip.  No pressure!  My friend and I just ran and took pictures.  It was a good lesson for me to not always be so hard on myself and remember why I started running.  Because it's FUN!  We decided to dress up as Winter Fairies.
                                 At the Start ..                                                  After the finish ...

We had some fun in the parks and the next morning bright and early we were at the half.  I will likely never be in a front corral for any other races, but I was lucky enough to find myself in corral A at Tinker Bell.  This was great because it meant I wouldn't have to deal with the weaving that hurt me so much at the Princess Half when I started in the last corral (H).  It was bizarre to be in that corral and actually be able to see the starting line.  A much different experience from my last race.

I should also mention that besides the injury that had me out of training for 6 weeks, I was also sick with a terrible chest cold for 3 weeks.  My training for this was a giant failure, but I tried to run as much as I could when I was well, especially that last month.  I knew that starting in that front corral meant it was possible for me to beat the Princess time that was a huge disappointment for me, so that was my goal.  I knew cross-training and strength training had made me stronger.  I just crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. 

Oh, I suffered.  I had trouble keeping a consistent pace because I usually rely on the crowd to hold me back.  In the A corral, there was no one to hold me back.  I wonder if it would have helped to start at the very back of the corral, but I couldn't have known what to expect.  I may try this for my next Disney race though.  My feet were numb by mile 4, but I kept on.  I also had to pee and I was melting in the tall socks, gloves and arm warmers.  The arm warmers and gloves were easy enough to toss.  I finally found a bathroom at around mile 5 and took the time to peel off the socks and remove the final shoe pouf that barely clung to my shoe.  They were fun to start with but I was done with them.

I was pretty miserable, but I finished in 2:23:24 which beat my Princess Half time 2:32:something.
SUCCESS!
Next up, I'm doing the Rock 'n Roll Half D.C. in March.  This race scares me a little because the course includes some serious hills in the first few miles.  I will likely walk a lot because I can't risk hurting my legs.

Then in April, the Cherry Blossom 10 miler, and GW Parkway 5k (It was my first race and now tradition to do it every year) and the NWM 1/2.  However, I'm focusing my training on the NWM 1/2 on April 28.  For both halfs I've done, I've been pretty miserable, so my hope is to finish strong and not in so much pain.  I'm sure that not spending days on my feet like I have at Disney will also be helpful.

I've struggled a little bit with direction after races.  Over the weekend with the help of my running friend, I spent some time trying do decide on a plan and I've found one that I think works for me so I'm hoping this should keep me on track.  I'm tring to be really careful with my legs and so far, so good.  The inserts have really helped.  Just hope it stays that way.   
After the last April race, I hope to take a break from running races for the summer since I prefer running in cooler weather.  I'll start up again in September to start training for the Wine & Dine Half in Disney World.

Also of great importance ... In August, I will make a decision on whether or not to register for the Paris Marathon.  I want to do this as a gift for my 40th birthday.  Whether or not I think my legs and feet will hold up for this is to be determined.  I need to see how the next few months go for me before I decide.

To be continued ...


No comments:

Post a Comment