Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Post-Christmas Run

I was pretty excited about the new fuel belt my brother got for me for Christmas.  I always go out for a run when I'm in Delaware.  I only recently started running distances where I feel I need a drink, so I was eager to try out the belt.  It's flat and beautiful on the back roads with farmland as far as the eye can see.  The drawback is that it's pretty isolated and I feel a little uncomfortable out there all alone.  My dad or husband usually comes with me on a bike or in the car (depending on how cold it is).

I decided to give the belt a test run.  I got a 4 bottle belt, but only filled 2 and I strapped it on.  My husband and I left the kids behind with my dad.  I decided on a 6 mile run out and back. I ate way too much and way too much of what isn't good for me and was sure I wasn't hydrated enough to go any further. 

  I was happily running along and noticed how comfortable the belt was, not riding up or shifting at all.  I took sips of the first bottle here and there.  It was going great and half-way through, I reached for the second bottle. 

It was EMPTY! 

It appears to have leaked around where the cap connects to the bottle.  After running a little further and considering this, I sent my husband home to get me a refill while I continued back.

Running, running, running ...

... and no husband.

I started to think, where is he? 

Running ...

My mind started to wander.  Maybe something happened to the kids?

What could I do?  Keep running.

Still thinking ... By now I'm convinced something happened to the kids.  He isn't coming!  OMG!

I was upset, not about the lack of fluid, but about the horror that he arrived to back at the house and that I wasn't there.  I wanted to stop running, but I kept going so it would get me there faster. 

After 2 miles (and 20 min) I spot him on the horizon?  "What happened?  What took you so long?"

"What do you mean?  Nothing."  he says.

I still can't imagine why it took him over 20 minutes to ride back and fill a small bottle but I was also relieved to know all was well ...

... and to have a drink.

Lessons learned:
  • Double and triple check the seals on the bottles next time. 
  • Stop being such an overreactive freak parent.



No comments:

Post a Comment