Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Health and Fitness are not luxuries.

Since I was a teenager, I've had periods of exhaustion affecting my daily living.  I even remember my parents taking me to the doctor because I slept so much, only to find every test come back normal.  It wasn't a big deal because when you don't have kids, you can just take a nap after work and sleep in on the weekend.

The real probem began after I had kids, especially having kids who have emotional challenges and don't sleep well (more on that another day).  Giving birth brought the blues which I managed to recover from ok, but it also highlighted my own sleep issues.  I even developed insomnia at one point after my second daughter was born and quite by accident I discovered that birth control pills were causing it.  However, dropping that medication and getting past insomnia didn't solve all my problems and even though I could sleep now, like before, I just couldn't get enough sleep. 

I eventually got to the point where I couldn't function as a mother because of the exhaustion.  My husband was understandably irritated and overwhelmed having to be both father and mother while I was essentially incapacitated.  I felt awful, but what could I do when I was so tired I couldn't see straight?  The exhaustion dragged me down emotionally.  I didn't feel like it was depression (having experienced that after my divorce) but there was a sadness and weariness to my daily existence.  Again, doctor visits yielded nothing.

One day at a routine visit to my gyn, I mentioned it to her and she asked me what I ate, especially for breakfast.  She suggested that I might try eating more protein throughout the day, including for breakfast.  I thought, "It can't be that simple."

It was.

I started paying more attention to what I ate and noticed that on days I ate protein for breakfast - eggs, greek yogurt, etc. vs. a bagel or cereal, I didn't feel like I was going to collapse at 3PM.  I can't believe that all along what was happening was a major sugar crash every day.  I guess I'm just really sensitive to carbs.  Around this time, I also started running for the first time.  My energy level went through the roof and I was happy.  REALLY happy! 

I can't understand why I had to struggle for 20 years when the solution was so simple.  Since making that small adjustment to my diet, I've never felt better.  More doctors need to be aware of how important nutrition is and that it's not always something that they need to throw a bunch of tests and medications at.  I am so incredibly grateful to my gyn for her knowledge.  She changed my life! 

This brings me to an article I came across over the weekend that really captures exactly how I feel. I took a quick phone pic because I didn't want to forget the exerpt, but of course, I forgot which magazine it came from.  Maybe Health?

Sometimes, I feel guilty that instead of going home and cleaning, or doing mom-type things like it seems the other moms do, I head straight to the gym after I drop my girls off.  Then I think of how this is not recreation like say scrapbooking or a photography hobby might be.  If I don't do this, I am left unable to function physically.  I can't be a good mother, a good wife.  Sometimes I wonder if people look at me and think of how selfish or spoiled I am when they see how I spend my time.  Yes, I am lucky to have the opportunity to work part-time and be able to get in 90 minute workouts, but it is truly something I need to live.

As for my husband, I have asked him more than once how he feels about what I do.  His answer is always the same - He is not a fan of mud runs or obstacle races because he worries about my safety, but other than that, he doesn't mind one bit.  He is a huge support and I could never train for or participate in races without him.  I am mindful of his time as well and as the article above mentions, we have a similar method to taking turns.  He goes to the gym during the week at a different time and on weekends, I arrange my workouts around his gym time. 

I hope we are setting an example for our daughters.  I want them to see how important eating well and being active is and wish for their happiness and health without having to experience the struggles that I endured.



No comments:

Post a Comment